Monday, December 29, 2008

A Reflection of 2008

A new horizon is upon us. Forget about the sadness, remember the goodness of 2008. In the remaining days of 2008, take stock of where you’re in your life. What were some of the improvement this year. In what way did you become a better person? Will your parents be proud of your accomplishments but especially are you proud of them. Is there something you could change about your behavior, attitude, or your outlook on life? What has happened, did you learn anything from them?

Things will happen to us with our without our permission. It’s what we do in those moments that determine our character. We might not always be a winner but what we've learned from not winning is more important than winning. Take a trip through the lens of my camera.

This year was a learning experience for me. The year started out crazy. I began the New Year with tenant issues at my investment that ended up in court. I was extremely stressed out by the entire episode, but I was not going to give in. I went through court drama and eventually the tenant moved out. I learned that I love rehabbing property but I am not made to be a landlord. I sold the property and walked away with a good return. My next project will be flipping property.

Next, the doctor thought I might have cancer. I never thought in a million years that I will hear those words. I got so scared I did not want to have the necessary procedure. Crazy thought started to run through my head. If I had cancer will everything change? How long will this doctor tell me I have to live? What have I accomplished? Will God be pleased with me? I am grateful to say that the test came back negative. I learned to put my health first and take better care of my body.
2008, was not all bad. I started my online store Jorkey Kiddie Bontique (http://www.jorkey.com/). It’s an organic clothing business for baby and toddler. It started out well but became a little slow. I understand because of where the economic is right now. Organic clothing is expensive. I’m in the progress of reevaluating the direction of the business. Do I stay green? Or do I close the business. I love the idea of selling and making creative items for children. I hope to figure this out before the New Year. I know God will direct me in the right direction.

I am grateful to have the families and friends that I associate with. I am not financially rich but I have people that care for me and stand by me. Some of my family and friends are here in the United States with me but most of them are in Liberia, Sierra Leone and the Ivory Coast. They might not be near but they love and care for me as I do for them. Don’t get me wrong they get on my nerves sometimes but I know I get on their nerves too. The fact is that we love each other.

I am grateful to have a job. There are many people out there that are looking for a job and need one. I count my lucky stars everyday. I know God is protecting my job because he knows a lot of people depend on my mother and me for their survival.

Love seems to elude me. I don’t have the touch when it comes to this aspect of life. I’m not willing to compromise my value for the sake of love. These are values my parents instill in me and they are not up for negotiation. I believe in God, family, respect, and kindness to others. It’s fine to have money but without a higher power nothing is possible. Everybody is so interested in what other do for a living, what kind of car they drive and where they live. We forget to ask basic questions like how’s your relationship with God, family and friends. Do you show kindness to the less fortunate? I know there is someone out there for me. He’s not Mr. Right because I don’t believe in that Disney fantasy. I'm looking for a human being with flaw but embodies my values. I'm also looking toward 2009 and make improvements. I hope to contribute some more toward humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say you peace